Maine Families


AMP Program:
If you owe more than $500 on back bills to your electric company, this program can help you wipe out what you owe. The AMP can also work with you to see if there are some free or cheap ways to reduce how much electricity you use.

You must be enrolled in the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).  If you are not enrolled, you must apply for LIHEAP and be accepted, before you can apply for AMP. (If you are not enrolled click here to contact WHCA to enroll in LIHEAP.)

Click here for more information on how to apply for AMP or contact your utility company and ask about AMP.  If your company will not help you, you can call the Consumer Assistance Division at the Maine Public Utilities Commission: 1-800-452-4699

WHCA: 1-800-828-7544
LIHEAP and THAW fuel assistance; Assistance with heating system upgrades (ECIP & CHIP). Website has online forms to view or print. Ask to speak with WHCA’s “Heat Coach” for help on fuel assistance, heating your home, and making your place more fuel efficient and draft resistant.

211 Maine: Dial 2-1-1 (toll free)
Assistance finding community resources for services including emergency fuel

Catholic Charities: 523-2770
Families can call for emergency assistance with fuel

Joe for Oil: dial joe-4-oil
Emergency fuel assistance for low-income families

Labor of Love, Greater Eastport Ecumenical Churches Association: 853-2373
Emergency fuel assistance; Salvation Army assistance

Machias Food Pantry, Centre Street Church: 255-6665
Emergency fuel assistance; Salvation Army assistance

Fairpoint Lifeline Program: 1-866-984-2001
Offers a reduced internet ($9.25/month) and land-line phone ($15.01/month) costs  for low income families.  911 physical mailing address is required to set up account (not a PO box).  A one-time set-up fee of about $30 may also be required.  Call for more information.

For low income residents with energy inefficient refrigerators: 800-828-7544
When you apply for LIHEAP, you are automatically considered for the Appliance Replacement Program and other assistance. Contact Washington Hancock Community Agency (WHCA) for a LIHEAP application or to inquire about your eligibility for appliance replacement..